Frequently Asked Questions
Below you'll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about entering and attending the World Architecture Festival
World Architecture Festival, now in its thirteenth year, is the world’s largest festival and live awards competition dedicated to celebrating and sharing architectural excellence from across the globe. It is where the architecture community meets to share expertise and learn from each other and is the only global architecture festival that combines awards, seminars and networking. INSIDE is the World Festival of Interiors sister festival which will also take place in Lisbon in December
To learn more about why you should enter click here
Entry is through our online system, please click here
You will need to:
- Register your account online or sign-in if you have previously registered
- Choose the category that you want to enter. You can enter more than one
- Give us details of your project and upload images
- Upload artwork for your entry boards. We print the boards for you
- Submit more than 3 entries to receive your 15% multiple entry discount
7 May 2020
All entries are received online by Thursday 7 May
Leading architects and industry professionals gather to look at the entry boards and decide on a shortlist. You will be informed soon after if you are a finalist. Don’t forget, all finalists must purchase two passes to attend the festival and present their project live!
Shortlist is announced
All finalists will be published on the WAF and INSIDE website, international press and WAF’s renowned media partners including The Architectural Review and ArchDaily.
2 and 3 December 2020
Live category judging at WAF
All finalists present for 10 minutes to a panel of three category judges followed by 10 minutes of Q&A with the jury. Judging takes place in a ‘crit’ room open to the WAF audience. Category winners are announced at the end of each day.
4 December 2020
Live judging for overall winners
Each category winner presents again for the Completed Building, Future Project or INSIDE World Interior of the Year Super-Jury.
4 December 2020
The final winners are revealed
The World Building, Future Project, Landscape and Interior of the Year winners are announced at the Gala Dinner. Winners have been meticulously weighed over three rounds of peer-review judging.
All projects must be completed between 1 January 2019 and 1 June 2020
There are 33 categories to enter:
- Civic and community
- Higher education and research
- Hotel and leisure
- New and old
- Production, energy and recycling
- Commercial mixed-use
- Competition entries
- Leisure-led development
- Best use of certified timber
- Best use of colour
- Small projects
- WAF research programme
- The Lisbon prize
- 2 x A2 entry boards. These boards will be printed by World Architecture Festival and used for shortlist judging and displayed at the Festival.
- 250 - 500 words of explanatory text in English. This will be listed on the online World Buildings Directory, available for the public to see.
- A zip file of project images. Please include your unique ‘project code’ when naming the folder and all images (the 5-digit code located at the top of your entry form). Images to include:
- 1 high-resolution hero image of the entire project. This will be the main image used on the World Buildings Directory listing and if you are shortlisted. Please label this image as ‘HERO’ plus your unique project code when uploading
- 6 x further photographs of the project. Please include your 'project code' when naming images.
- 3 x further images of a site plan, floor plan, key section. Please include your 'project code' when naming images.
- Please remember, if you are shortlisted for any of your submissions, two representatives will have to purchase a ticket to attend the Festival in December to present their project.
- There is no limit on the number of projects that can be submitted
- All projects in completed building categories must be completed between 1 January 2019 and 1 June 2020
- All entrants must submit two electronic A2 boards with their entry
- Your boards should include a combination of images, plans and text
- To view an example entry board please click here
- The boards will be the only information that the judges will see during shortlisting so are the crucial part of your entry
- All entries will remain anonymous, so please do not include any practice information on the designs
- Uploaded files must be less than 12 MB each
- Preferred file types are jpeg, png or pdf
- Your entry boards will be printed by the World Architecture Festival ahead of judging on foamex using
- Each entry costs £775 +VAT before the 3rd April and £850 after the 4th April
- For three entries or more a discount of 15% will be applied
- Entries can be paid via credit card
- Please also note that all finalists have to attend the Festival in December to present live. Delegate passes start from £949
- The deadline for submitted entries is Thursday 7 May 2020.
- You do not need to complete your entry all at once. You can 'Save for later' and then add or change any aspect of your entry at a later date. Although, completed entries must be submitted by the deadline
- Please note that you must pay in full for your entry to be considered by the judging panel
- Once your entry has been processed on the system, you will receive a confirmation email to say it has been accepted. Please note that payment still needs to be made before the judging panel will review the entry.
- Entry judging will take place in London in June 2020 by a judging panel of international architects and experts
- The judging panel will review the entry boards by category and in turn will create a shortlist for each one
- Entrants will be informed by the beginning of July 2020 whether they have been successful or not
- Those who have been successful and shortlisted will be expected to purchase a minimum of two passes to the festival to present their project live to a judging panel in Lisbon on 2-4 December 2020
- For any entry query please contact the WAF team on +44 203 953 2540 or via email at email@example.com
- For queries relating to board printing please contact James Hyder at James.Hyder@emap.com. James is available Monday to Friday between 09.00 – 17.00 GMT
PAYMENT, INVOICING & RECEIPTS
- All entries must be paid in full prior to the judging day
- Entries that are not paid in full will not be considered by the judging panel
- Invoices will be issued for entry payments up until five weeks before the entry period
- Please make sure that you send us the correct contact and address for invoices and any relevant PO numbers before submitting the entry
- Invoices must be paid immediately. Failure to pay your invoice will result in your entry not being viewed by the judging panel
- To request a copy of your invoice please contact our finance team by phone on +44 203 953 2650 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have purchased your entry via credit card you will have received a receipt on your confirmation email
- If you would like to receive a paid invoice receipt please contact our finance team by phone on +44 203 953 2650 or via email at email@example.com