Who can enter?
- Individual architects, practices, multi-professional teams, landscape architects
- Developers, funders, contractors and other associated organisations (for example clients), may also enter on behalf of the architect, with their consent
What can be entered?
- Buildings, projects and landscapes, completed between 1 January 2014 and 1 June 2015 for Completed Buildings and Landscapes. There is no time restriction for Future Projects entries.
- There is no limit on the number of buildings/projects that can be submitted.
- Buildings/projects can be submitted in more than one category where relevant, including INSIDE the sister event of WAF which celebrates the best interiors of the last year.
- All designs must be by professionals whose qualifications are recognised by their local accreditation organisation.
Presenting at the Festival
Please note: If your building is shortlisted, two representatives from your practice will need to purchase Festival delegate passes and be available to present in Singapore between the 4th and 6th November. If your project wins a WAF category award, at least one architect should be available to collect the trophy at the Gala Awards Dinner on the final evening, Friday 6th November 2015.
- All entries must be submitted in English
- All entries must be submitted by 22 May 2015
- Entrants must submit an online entry. Click here to start your entry >>
Each entry must contain a minimum of:
- A minimum of 6 x low resolution photographs (NOT visualisations unless a future project) of the project (maximum of 20)
- 3 x further images of a site plan, floor plan, key section
- 250 words of explanatory text describing the project
- 1 x high resolution image, up to 300 DPI
In addition a maximum of:
- 20 images including photographs, elevations, sections, details and plans
- 1000 words of explanatory text
- 3 x high resolution images, up to 300 DPI
All photos should be in JPEG format. Individual images must be no larger than 8MB. Hi-res images may be used by our media partners should your project feature in any editorial coverage. Please ensure that you are authorised to use all images
The information submitted in your online entry may be used on our website and on www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com.
By submitting the entry you acknowledge that The World Architecture Festival and its partners have the right to reproduce photography, drawings and other information materials in whole or in part without payment of copyright (where we are made aware of their names, photographers will be acknowledged) in connection to the Festival.
Each entry must comprise two A2 entry boards that will be viewed by WAF shortlisting judges.
This year we have made entering easier than ever before because we will print your entry boards. Simply upload your entry board designs as the final stage of your online entry. Maximum upload of 12MB per board.
Board artwork contents
- Entry board artwork must include photographs of the building (in either colour or black and white), a site plan, drawings and a 250 word description in English.
- Entry boards artwork must be sized for A2 boards- 420mm (wide) x 594mm (high), approximately 16.5in wide x 23.4in high.
- To ensure anonymity in judging, no names of entrants or collaborating parties may appear on any part of the front of the board.
Return of boards
- Entry boards will not be returned. Boards will be recycled or displayed at subsequent WAF events.
Attending the World Architecture Festival
- Shortlisted entrants will be notified in June 2015
- Where an entry is shortlisted, two representatives must be available at the Festival to present to the relevant category jury
- Both presenters will need to purchase Festival delegate passes; shortlisted entrants do not receive free passes for the Festival. Click here to find out the cost of entering and visiting
When is the entry deadline?
- All online entries and board artwork must be submitted on or by 22 May 2015
- NB take advantage of the early-bird reduced entry price by submitting on or by 1 May 2015
Please note: by submitting an entry to the World Architecture Festival Awards you are agreeing to cooperate with our PR agency, should you win the World Building of the Year, Future Project of the Year, Landscape of the Year or an individual category. The agency will work with you globally to promote your practice at no cost to yourself.
- The decision of the jury is final
- The jury reserves the right to re-classify, re-categorise or reject any entry that does not comply with the requirements of the competition
- Details of jury meetings will not be disclosed
- No feedback will be given on individual entries
- No correspondence will be entered into by the organisers or judges in respect of either individual entries or judging decisions
- Judges are required to remove themselves from the process if they are asked to judge an entry that poses any conflict of interest
- Shortlisted entrants will be notified in writing during June 2015
- Two representatives/architects of shortlisted buildings MUST attend the Festival to present their entry to the relevant category jury
Winning entries and prizes
- Category winners will be announced on the evenings of Wednesday 4 November and Thursday 5 November
- All Completed Building category winners compete for World Building of the Year 2015 and will need to re-present to the super-jury on Friday 6 November
- Future Project category winners compete for Future Project of the Year and will need to re-present to the super-jury on Friday 6 November
- The World Building of the Year, Future Project of the Year and Landscape Project of the Year winners will be announced at the Gala Awards Dinner on Friday 6 November
- There are no cash prizes
- When submitting your entry you can opt for it to be entered for the WAF Small Project Prize and other special prizes at no additional cost. If shortlisted by the judges you will be required to present your project at the Festival on Friday 6 November.
Publication and publicity
- All entries will be displayed on www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com directly after the shortlist is announced.
- Shortlisted entries will be displayed at WAF London, a public exhibition in collaboration with the London Festival of Architecture on 24 - 26 June at the University of Westminster.
- Announcement of the shortlist will be made in the week commencing 22 June 2015 via the WAF website, email communictaion, social media and a PR activity.
At the Festival
- All shortlisted practices are named in the show catalogue
- Entry boards are displayed by category
- Press releases are issued internationally in respect of category and overall winners
- Media interviews can be arranged via the WAF press office
- 30 Media Partners and other media representatives will be present at the Festival
- All overall winners will be interviewed by Dezeen, our online media partner
- All Award winners and associated activity is covered on the WAF website
- A post-show celebration publication of winners and finalists will appear in a supplement to the Architectural Review
- Overall winner filmed interviews will be screened on the Dezeen website after the festival
- The WAF PR agency will continue to promote winning entries for two months
- Winners and entries may be published in our media partner publications (at their discretion)
- Exhibition boards may be displayed at subsequent exhibitions.
- We will provide information on all winning entries to other architectural magazines, newspapers and relevant media worldwide.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to imply the granting of permission to publish all material and particulars of the successful schemes, including any jury citation. The names and addresses of private residential clients will not be published.
- All entries will be permanently listedon our 'living archive', www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com which receives more than 21,000 visits a month.
- The World Building of the Year will feature on the homepage of World Architecture Festival website and the www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com
- Articles will be posted on our main website which attracts more than 10,000 visits a week