Who can enter?
- Individual architects, practices, multi-professional teams, landscape architects
- Developers, funders, contractors and other associated organisations (for example clients), may also enter on behalf of the architect, with their consent
What can be entered?
- Buildings, projects and landscapes, completed between 1 January 2012 and 1 June 2013 for Completed Buildings and Landscapes*, there is no time restrictions for Future Projects entries. If you have drawings of your future plans why not enter them into WAF
- There is no limit on the number of buildings/projects that can be submitted
- Buildings/projects can be submitted in more than one category where relevant, including INSIDE the sister event of WAF which celebrates the best interiors of the last year.
- All designs must be by professionals whose qualifications are recognised by their local accreditation organisation
* Please note: If your building is shortlisted, two representatives from your practice will need to purchase tickets and be available to present at the Festival in Singapore. If your project wins a WAF category award, the architect must be available at the Festival to collect the trophy at the closing ceremony on the final evening of Friday 4th October 2013.
All entries must be submitted in English. There are 3 compulsory stages to entry:
- Tell us what project you are entering and submit payment (this will generate a unique identity code which can be downloaded and attached to the physical entry)
- Completion of online entry - deadline for completion is 10 June 2013
- Submission of exhibition boards, with identity code attached - deadline for submition of exhibition boards is 17 June 2013
Entrants must submit an online entry which will include contact details and a minimum of:
- 6 photographs of the project (NOT visualisations unless a future project)
- 3 further images of a site plan, floor plan, key section (or equivalent for masterplanning and landscape projects)
- 250 words of explanatory text
and a maximum of:
- 20 images including photographs, elevations, sections, details and plans
- 1000 words of explanatory text
The information submitted in your online entry may be used on our website and on www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com.
By submitting the entry you acknowledge that The World Architecture Festival and its partners have the right to reproduce photography, drawings and other information materials in whole or part without payment of copyright (where we are made aware of their names, photographers will be acknowledged) in connection to the Festival.
For WAF 2013 payment will be taken on completing the "tell us what you are entering" section of the entry process.
Deadline for receipt of exhibition boards is 17 June 2013
In addition to the online entry form, entrants must also submit 2 x A2 boards summarising their entry and a CD with a minimum of six hi-res photos of the project.
Exhibition boards will be used for judging and displayed in the gallery of entries on site at the Festival. The boards must be shipped to our offices in the UK. The facility to download address labels will be available within your WAF account, at Step 5 of the entry process, 'Submit your boards'.
If entering more than one category, a pair of exhibition boards must be provided for each category.
Hi-res images may be used by our media partners should your project feature in any editorial coverage.
- Entry boards must include photographs of the building (in either colour or black and white), a site plan, drawings and a 250 word description in English
- Entry boards must be A2 size - 420mm (wide) x 594mm (high), approximately 16.5in wide x 23.4in high - preferably lightweight art board or equivalent
- Entry boards must be mounted
- Please do not include hanging fixtures on the boards
- Please ensure your labels are mounted on the top right hand corner on the back of your board
- Please ensure your labels are securely fixed
- The orientation of the entry boards can be either portrait, landscape or a combination of the two
- To ensure anonymity in judging, no names of entrants or collaborating parties may appear on any part of the front of the board. Each board must have an official identity code stuck on the back, plus all contact details
High resolution images
- Please send a CD with a minimum of 2 high resolution images of your project along with your exhibition boards
- CD to be labelled with the project and architect name, practice name and entry code and any photography credits
- Images must be up to 300 dpi and between 1 and 3 megabytes
Submission of boards
- Deadline for receipt of exhibition boards is 17 June 2013. To ensure timely receipt, we recommend using a carrier that guarantees delivery or sending your artwork to a UK based printers.
- Each set of exhibition boards must be wrapped and labelled with labels provided
- Entries must be marked as NCV (no commercial value) on any courier documentation. The organisers will NOT accept any courier charges or taxes resulting from delivery. Personal deliveries to the World Architecture Festival offices are accepted during normal working hours
- World Architecture Festival assumes no liability for loss or damage to entry boards on delivery
Please deliver entry boards to:
WAF 2013 Entry
i2i Events Group
2 Kingdom Street
Deadline for receipt of exhibition boards is 17 June 2013
Return of boards
- Entry boards will not be returned
Submission of boards' artwork
- Send with the boards a CD of their artwork for each project, with the label provided affixed to the CD case
Board, CD and address labels
- The facility to download these labels is available within your WAF account, at Step 5, Submit your boards
Attending the World Architecture Festival
If an entry is shortlisted, then 2 representatives must be available at the Festival and to present the entry to the jury.
Shortlisted entrants will be notified in June 2013. Both presenters will be required to purchase Festival passes; shortlisted entrants do not receive free passes for the Festival. Click here to find out the cost of entering and visiting.
When is the entry deadline?
- Entries close 10 June 2013
- All online entries must be submitted 10 June 2013
- Accompanying exhibition boards must be delivered to our offices by 17 June 2013
Please note: by submitting an entry into the World Architecture Festival awards that you are agreeing to cooperate with our PR agency, FTI Consulting, should you win the 'World Building of the Year' award or your individual category. They will work with you to globally promote your practice at no cost to yourself.
- The decision of the jury is final
- The jury reserves the right to re-classify, re-categorise or reject any entry that does not comply with the requirements of the competition
- Details of the jury meetings will not be disclosed
- No correspondence will be entered into by the organisers or the judges regarding feedback on entries
- Judges will be asked to declare an interest and remove themselves from the process if they are asked to judge an entry that poses a conflict of interest
- Shortlisted entrants will be notified in writing during June 2013
- Two representatives/architects of shortlisted buildings MUST be able to attend the Festival to present their building live for the jury to be able to win
- The presenter must be part of the design team and will be expected to use a purchased Festival delegate pass
WIinning entries and prizes
- Category winners will be announced on the evenings of Wednesday 2 October and Thursday 3rd October
- All Completed Building category winners will automatically be contenders for World Building of the Year 2013 and will need to present on Friday 4th October
- Future project category winners will automatically be contenders for Future Project of the Year and will need to present on Friday 4th October
- The World Building of the Year, Future Project of the Year and Landscape Project of the Year winner will be announced at the overall awards ceremony on the evening of Friday 4th October
- There is no cash prize
Publication and publicity
At the festival
- All entries will be exhibited in the Awards Gallery on site at the Festival, included in the Festival catalogue and displayed on www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com directly after the festival
- Winners and entries may be published in our media partner publications (at their discretion). WAF 2012 generated over 2000+ articles online,150+ articles in print worldwide, 90+ journalists attended the festival and we had 52 global media partners. Follow this link to see the full press coverage of WAF 2012.
- Exhibition boards may be displayed at subsequent exhibitions.
- We will provide information on all winning entries to other architectural magazines, newspapers and relevant media worldwide.
- Submission of an entry will be taken to imply the granting of permission to publish all material and particulars of the successful schemes, including the jury report. The names and addresses of private residential clients will not be published.
- All entries will feature permanent listing on our living archive, www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com directly after the Festival World Buildings Directory is a definitive guide to the best of the world's best architecture and design which receives over 700 visits a day.
- All winners of WAF 2013 will get the opportunity to work with our PR agency FTI consulting to further increase your exposure worldwide.
- The winning building will feature on the homepage of World Architecture Festival website and the www.worldbuildingsdirectory.com for 12 months and articles will be posted on our main website which attracts over 10,000 visits a week